In the year 1741, the Marathas invaded Tiruchirapalli and took Chanda Saheb as captive. However, Chanda Saheb was able to secure freedom in the year 1748, and soon got involved in the Great War for the Nawab`s place in the Carnatic against Anwardeen, the Nawab of Arcot and his son Mohammed Ali. Mohamed Ali annexed the two palayams of Udayarpalayam and Ariyalur situated within the present district of Ariyalur on the grounds of default in payment of tributes and failure to help him in suppressing the rebellion of Yusuf Khan. In the month of November 1764, Mohamed Ali represented the issue to Madras Council and received military assistance on the 3rd of January 1765. The forces led by Donald Campbell and Umdat-Ul-Umara entered Ariyalur and captured it and the young Poligar with his followers escaped to Udayarpalayam. On the 19th of January, the army marched towards Udayarpalayam. The troops of Poligar were defeated and the palayams were occupied. The two poligars fled away and took refuge in Tharangampadi, which was then a Danish settlement. The annexation of the palayam gave the Navab an undisputed possession of all his territories extending Arcot to Tiruchirappalli.
One of the major tourist attractions in the district of Perambalur is the Ranjankudi Fort which attracts a large number of tourists from different parts of the state as well as from other portions of the country throughout the year. There are also several temples which serve as some of the best places of pilgrimage where devotees and also general tourists visit. The Siruvachur Madura Kaliamman temple at Siruvachur in Perambalur taluk is one of the most popular shrines in the district. The main annual festival at this temple commences in the last week of Panguni. The Car festival is celebrated in the first week of Chithirai. Other temples of importance in this district are the Ancient Arulmigu Ekambareswar and Thandayuthapani Temples. These temples are situated in the Chettikulam Village. These temples were constructed by King Kulasekara Pandian, about eight hundred years ago. These two temples are located at a distance of twenty two kilometers from Perambalur and eight kilometers to the west of Alathurgate on Trichy-Chennai National Highway.
By Road: Perambalur is situated on the NH45 and one can easily arrive by bus from Chennai which is about 275 KMs from the District Headquarters. Buses are frequently available to go to Trichy from where one can access the train and air network. By Rail: The nearest Railway Station is Ariyalur which is about 30 KMs from Perambalur. Trichy Junction Railway Station is about 60 KMs from Perambalur and has trains arriving from different parts of India. By Air: The nearest International airport is Trichy Airport which is about 75KMs from Perambalur.Tourist Information Assistant Tourist Officer, Tourist office, Revenue Divisional Office Campus, Perambalur-621212. LandLine : 04328-275177 Mobile : 7397715686 Email : email@example.com
Ranjankudi Fort is a 17th-century fortress located about 22 km (14mi) north of the town of Perambalur,Tamil Nadu India. The fort is located 22 km north of Perambalur NH 45 in the South Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It is located 253 km (157mi) away from the state capital Chennai and 70 km (43 mi) from Trichy .The fort was constructed by feudatory Nawab of the Carnatic. Ranjakudi fort was the focus point during the Battle of Valikondah during 1751, when the British troops supported by Mohammed Ali won over the French supported by Chanda Sahib. The fort is oblong in shape with semicircular bastions, a moat encircling it and three fortifications at different levels, built with cut stone blocks. The fort has a palace, residence buildings, underground chamber and an underground passage that links Pettai (the top level) with Kottai Medu (lower level). The fort, in modern times, is maintained and administered by the Archaeological Survey of India.The fort is one of the prominent tourist destinations in Perambalur.History The fort is called Ranjankudikottai and also referred as Nanjankudikottai. The old premises is believed to have been housing Hindu temples dedicated to Shiva and Hanuman The fort is believed to have been constructed by Jagridar of the Nawab of Carnatic during the 17th century. The fort was the scene of the Battle of Valikondah during 1751. The British troops were supported by Mohammed Ali while the French were supported by Chanda Sahib. Though the battle is called by the nearby village Valikondah, it was fought in the fort. While the French won the initial battle, the British ended up winning the final battle with the help of local Muslims. In May of 1752, the fort was also the scene of surrender of French troops under D’Auteuil, which was sent to relieve the garrison at Srirangam . D’Auteuil was posted in Uttatur and was fended off by the British troops lead by Dalton on May 9th. He retreated to Ranjankudi, where the Jagirthar took the side of the British and denied entry to the French troops to the upper level of the fort. D’Auteuil surrendered in the fort. Architecture The fort is oblong in shape with semicircular bastions and a moat encircling it. There are three fortifications at different levels, built with cut stone blocks. The lower bastion is the main rampart surrounded by mud wall. The open ground known as Pettai is approached through a flight of steps, which was once a battlefield. The top-tier is called Kottai Medu, used as guarding towers by soldiers and housing cannons. The small water body in the fort is believed to have been used by the Nawab as swimming pool. The fort has a palace, residence buildings, underground chamber and an underground passage that links Pettai with Kottai Medu. The pit in the centre of the fort was used as a prison for male prisoners while female prisoners were jailed in small blocks inside the fort. The fort is one of the prominent tourist destinations in Perambalur.
God : Arulmigu Ekampareshwarar and Thandayudhapani Temple. Goddess : Kamatchi Amman. Holy pond : Panchanadi Theertha pond. Holy Tree : VilvamHistorical Greatness of the place In the earlier days this place was surrounded by a canopy of kadamba trees. The Chola king was ruling, having uraiyur as capital. At that time, a Trader from his region, went towards Northern side, from uraiyur, to trade. When he reached kadambavanam, it was dusk and dark. So, he decided to stop his journey and rest there. He climbed up and sat on a Banyan Tree. A Flash of light appeared suddenly like a fire in the midnight, which was in the form of Shivlinga amid the Lords and Saints, worshipping, then it disappeared. This wonderful scene was witnessed by the trader. Out of astonishment, the trader returned back to his native place uraiyur, to inform the chola king in the dawn. Reaching Uraiyiur, the trader described that spiritual scene to the Great king parandaha cholan, in his palace. Kulasekara pandian, the honorable guest to chola king heard about the miracle. The chola and pandian king along with the trader and soldiers reached kadambavanam. The searched for the shivalinga in all directions. At that time, an old man with a sugar cane in his hand, revealed them the place of linga, shivering and disappeared at once, as a flash of light, in the Eastern side. The Kings were astonished to see at a distance a small hill on which Lord Muruga stands as Thandayuthapani with a sugar cane. Both the kings were almost immersed in Bhakthi and Kulasekara pandian constructed (built) both the Ekambareswarar and Thandayudhapani temple at a time. Kovalan, the virgin lady kannagi’s husband was put to death and she out of anger, cursed Madurai and made into ashes. On her journey towards Northwest passed Lord Thandayuthapani’s temple where she was pacified and blessed her to go to siruvachur and have the incarnation as madurakali and bless the devotees. Greatness of the place Arulmigu Ekambareshwarar temple is referred as the core to chettikulam, and at the hill is the Lord Thandayuthapani temple which goes down from chettikulam. These two temples describe the historical value of the place. Uraiyur Cholaking Parandagan and the pandian king kulesekaran witnessed the presence of Father Shiva and dharshana made them to cred a temple. on the Hill, Arulmigu Thandayuthapani, has in his hand a sugarcane with eleven knots and this is one of the best. To the order of Kamatchi Amman, Lord Thandayuthapani destroyed the Giant and as a gift to Him, Annai Kamatchi presented him, from her hand the Sugar cane and blessed Him. From that time onwards he gives His dharshana to his Bhakthas with sugarcane and removes all their sorrows and sufferings, blesses them to be happy. This is the reason why Anna Kamachi does n’t sugar cane in her hand. Sooriya Pooja Towards the East is the Ekambareswarar temple, Arulmigu Thandayuthapani on the hill faces his Father towards west is an unique feature. On 19,20,21 dates of panguni month the sun’s rays fall on Shivalinga in the dawn and gradually works, falls on kamatchi Amman. Many of the devotees come to witness this miracle, On 19,20,21 dates of Maasi month, the sun’s rays fall on Lord Thandayuthapani in the dusk. Festivals and Jathras Thai poosam festival celebrated in Ekambareswarar temple is of great unique. panguni Festival celebrated in the hill of Lord Thandayuthapani is also of great unique. Only of panguni festival the Lord will come down the hill and will give his dharshana to the devotees. This Panguni Festival is celebrated in a grand manner every year and this has been accredited during the rule of Britishers. It is inaugurated by hoisting a flag and for 14 days there will be special abhishegam and decoration. Decorated lord Thandayuthapani, will come around the town in the morning and evening. Besides, Lord will come around an Horse, Silver peacock and Floral decorated Vaganam, each and every day. The Festival ends with a farewell of Pancha Moorthigal. A Place for Childless People Devotees in Wanton of child will have to fast on shasti days, praying they have to tie a cradle on the Vilva tree. After getting fulfilled their prayer, the devoice has to bring his child in sugar cane cradle to the hill. Zodiac Kuberan In Arulmigu Ekambareswarar temple, there is a temple separately for Kuberan opposite to Ambal temple. Here Kuberan’s dharshana is with chitralekha sitting on Lotus. Here Green colour Kumkum is given as Prasad. This is one of the unique qualities of this temple. Besides that, for 12 Zodiac symbols are present in ‘OM’ shape in all the temple pillars. Offering Green dhoti is also a special one. This temple resemble as a place of kubera. On Kuberan’s birth star ‘Poorattadhi’ Kubera Homam and special prayers will be performed in a grand manner every month. Silver Chariot On Silver Chariot in the Prahara, Lord Thandayuthapani will come around the temple at 6.00 p.m . The amount be paid. to draw (pull) the Silver Chariot is Rs. 1,000/- . The Devotees can also have a fined deposit of Rs 20,000/- and can draw the chariot yearly once on any day they wish. On the beautiful hill, we can have Lord Thandayuthapani’s dharshana. Hill has both exit and enter steps separately and separate road for vehicles. Pooja Time Morning 8.00 – 9.00 (Kalasandhi) Afternoon 11.30 – 12.00 (Uchchikalam) Evening 5.30 – 6.30 ( Saya rakshai ) Night 7.30 – 8.00 ( Arthasamam)
The renowned temple of Arulmigu Mathura Kaliamman at Siruvachur located 50 kms from Trichy and 8 kms from Perambalur has an antiquity dating back to 1000 years. Large number of devotees throng this temple on Mondays and Fridays to worship the powerful deity and seek her divine blessings. According to tradition Chelliamman was the local deity of Siruvachur. An evil magician through his intense devotion to the deity won her favour. Pleased with his devotion, Chelliamman granted him any boon he wished. The cruel sorcerer wished that the deity should be his servant and do his bidding at all times. Bound by the power of her own boon Chelliamman had no other option but to obey all his evil commands.At this time Kannagi the embodiment of virtue and chastity happened to visit Siruvachur. Kannagi was the devoted wife of Kovalan, a merchant. The happy couple led a blissful life till Kovalan in the course of his travels met Madhavi a beautiful danseuse. Enamored by her grace Kovalan started living with her and spent all his wealth on her. This went on for over a year during which he had a daughter Manimegalai through her. When his resources were exhausted Kovalan realized his folly and returned to his devoted wife Kannagi. The couple went to Madurai to eke out their livelihood. Kovalan, hard pressed for money, tried to sell one of the precious anklets of his wife. The anklets resembled those of the queen of Madurai and so Kovalan was charged with theft and swiftly beheaded by the king without even a trial. On hearing this, Kannagi seething with anger rushed to the king’s court and accused him of taking an innocent man’s life by his hasty and unjust ruling. With fuming rage she took out the other anklet and threw it down. All at once, by the power of her chastity the entire city of Madurai went up in flames. After this Kannagi left Madurai and traveling towards north arrived at Siruvachur. There she rested for the night at the deserted temple. Something strange happened. The deity of the temple Chelliamman came out of the sanctum and requested Kannagi not to stay there as she could be killed by the cruel magician. Chelliamman narrated to Kannagi her sorry tale. Kannagi was very much moved and offered to help Chelliamman rid herself of the evil. Kannagi entered the sanctum with Chelliamman and lay there waiting. In the middle of the night the magician came and ordered Chelliamman to come out. Kannagi immediately invoked the blessings of her family deity Kali. Goddess Kali bestowed her powers on Kannagi who then leapt out of the sanctum, fought the magician, vanquished and beheaded him. Chelliamman was thus rid of her bondage. Filled with gratitude Chelliamman prayed to Kannagi to stay at the temple permanently to bless and protect all devotees who seek her refuge.Chelliamman said that she would retreat and stay at the nearby Periyasami hills. Kannagi willingly consented but on condition that she would stay at the temple only on Mondays and Fridays and with Chelliamman on all other days. Since Kannagi came from Madurai and had invoked the blessings of Goddess Kali to slay the magician she was worshiped as Mathura Kaliamman when she took the seat at Siruvachur temple. Thousands of devotees visit the temple on Mondays and Fridays to seek the blessings of Mathura Kaliamman. During Puja Aarthi is first lifted towards Periyasami hills to offer prayers to Chelliamman and then it is offered to Mathura Kaliamman. In accordance with the magician’s dying wish his samadhi is located in front of the sanctum. Devotees stamp over the samadhi while entering the sanctum as wished for by the magician. The priests at the temple are said to be the descendants of the magician but entirely free of his evil proclivities by the divine grace of the deity. It is said that the deity at the temple was originally consecrated by AdiSankara.The revered saint Sri Sadasiva Brahmendral has installed a powerful Srichakram in this temple. The deity is also the kuladeivam of KanchiMahaswami Shri Chandrasekharendra Saraswathi. Chithirai Car Festivel : This Festival is Started from After Chithirai ammavasai 1st Tuesday the Poochorithal Festival and then after 8th day Kappu kattuthal Festival and then after 10th day Big car festival famous Big festival in the district. The Special Temple Opening days in Tamil months are Chithirai Tamil New year; Aadi for Aadi 18th day; Purattasi for Navarathri 10 days; Iyppasi for Deepavali; Karthigai for Karthigai Deepam, Margazhi for Margazhi Pirappu, Vaikunda Ekadesi,English New year(January 1st ); Thai Thaippongal, Thaipoosam; Masi Sivarathri. Temple Opening/Pooja Times Temple Opening Time : Morning 6.30 A.M to 9.00 P.M Abishgam Time : 11.00 A.M to 12.00 P.M. Uchikala Pooja Time : 1.00. P.M to 1.30 ( Golden Kavasam ) Executive Officer Arulmigu Siruvachur MathuraKaliaman Temple Siruvachur, Perambalur Taluk & District -621113 Mobile No. : 8056553356.
Geological lstudy shows that more than 120,000,000 years ago, the sea (which lies today about 100 k.m. East of Sathanur) had transgressed as far as 8to 10 km West of Sathanur. During this period which is Geologically knownj as the cretaceous, the sea abounded in a variety of marine animals similar to those found in the present day sea. These animals, after death;, sank to the bottom and were buried by sands and clays brought down by the rivers. Along with them some of the trees which flourished on the seacoast or near shore were also buried after transport by flooded streams and were petrified in course of time. The large trunk of petrified tree, which can be seen here, lies within the Trichirappalli group of rocks of about 100,000,000 years ago. This tree shows the presence of Conifers (The non flowering plants) that dominated the land vegetation prior to the advent of Angiospems (the flowering plants of the present of lday).The petrified tree trunk at Sathanur measures over 18 meters in length Similar fossil trees measuning a few meters in length are found along the stream sections near Varagur, Anaipadi, Alundalipur and Saradamangalaml. Dr.M.S.Krishnan of the Geological Survey of India first reported this fossil tree in 1940.
© 2020 . All Rights Reserved. Designed by Bonjour Media